May 17, 2011

Happy Birthday, Sis!

Today is my sister's birthday! 
The two of us used to drink Cherry 7UP out of champagne glasses with our lunch when we were kids.  I don't think it's available anymore; this is as close as I could get to that very pretty pale pink color that I remember.

I won't mention what birthday this is for her but suffice it to say she is my older sister, older by a good 7 years.  However, I can't tell you how many times throughout my life I've had to endure people asking which one of us is older.  It was kind of cute when I was younger but nowadays, it's not so funny anymore.  But it's true, sis, you don't look a day over 25! 

Maybe it's because she's the middle child but my sister is like the mediator - the helpful, nice one.  She's always there to help me when I need her and one of the best dinner companions.  We share a lot of food memories together.  Many afternoons when we were growing up, she would make us a huge pan of spaghetti and I remember it was so heavy, she'd need my help to hold the pan with her so we could spill it out onto a platter.  And afterwards, we'd have that Rocky Road ice-cream I mentioned before.  One thing we laugh about a lot is how we used to drink Cherry 7UP in champagne glasses when we were kids!!  We were so fabulous!  And many years later when we dine out, which is often, we laugh about how far we've come and how we get to have the real thing these days. 

As a child, I used to follow my sister around all the time and I'm sure she was glad to see me grow up and get my own life.  Imagine yourself as a teenager trying to maintain a social life with your friends but having a nagging little sister shadowing you - that was her burden for many years.  In fact, I used to taunt her and sing a song (I think it was from some commercial) that went something like: "kid sister, kid sister, wherever I go, she goes...my sister and me!"  I always wanted to tag along with her whenever she was going out.  I didn't see anything wrong with that at the time (if she didn't want to take me, I thought she was cruel) but I feel terrible about it looking back now and can only blame my youthful ignorance.  The funny thing is when my sister would really have somewhere she wanted to go on her own, she used to appease me by cooking me something to eat or buying me some donuts or something to sweeten the deal.  It always involved food and that's one thing we share...our love of food.  Maybe we also share a love of shopping too but while she's shopping for shoes, I'm at William Sonoma looking at bakeware.

So cheers to sisterhood!  Happy Birthday to my sister!  I hope you have a wonderful day and may you continue to look 25 for many years to come!

3 comments:

  1. sis, how can i not love u!! Cheers to sisterhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really nice to have such a wonderful sister!
    Happy birthday to her!
    Cheers xxxx
    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to wish your sister happy birthday sister.Have a good day. Enjoy your special day. May Gog bless you always. Your sister love you so much.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...